Thursday, September 6, 2012

Shih Tzu: Juana's Furbabies


June 1, 2012: It was a beautiful day, I was busy cleaning my room because I have just moved in into our new house. Juana & I are just watching TV the whole morning and after few hours later, My Auntie Michelle with my cousins and their helper came by to visit me. Juana was 60 days pregnant that time, it was her due date.

Meanwhile, My Aunt Michelle noticed that Juana's getting anxious, she's scraping the floor and she just defecated twice. I knew that was the sign she was already under the labor process . She laid in one corner trying to fight the contractions. I began to pick up the materials needed. Actually, I was so excited I piled up the materials in one plastic container ahead of time. There were set of gloves, surgical scissors, alcohol, cotton balls, cotton buds, newspapers, clean clothes, rags,  and syringes.

I watched Juana during the whole labor process. Closely monitoring her contractions and always trying to comfort her. After quite some time, I saw a bulge on her sex organ. It was like a hard lychee. I thought that was the amniotic sac. It popped out of her and water came, the smell of it is like blood. 

I washed my hands, don my gloves and just minutes after, I saw the first puppy coming out of her. It was a glorious feeling after all. I'm super excited at the same time anxious, hoping all the puppies were all alive, and nothing wrong would happen to Juana. I'm afraid that time because Juana could not push the puppy out, so I assisted her. Gradually, I'm pulling the baby out, little by little and its showing progress. 

One puppy came out, I broke the sac because Juana didn't, I teared it open, suctioned its nose using a needless syringe, and finally its breathing..... SIGH..... The happiness I felt there was incomparable. I was teary eyed. The umbilical cord is still attached to the baby, I cut it and then i used the scissors to gently pull the placenta out of her.Its a male puppy. I named him WAN, because he's the first :)

After 30 minutes, I saw the contractions once again. Same thing, I saw the second puppy (female named HEART), I assisted her, then the 3rd puppy (female name MOCHI). I thought there were only three puppies. I cleaned her up, then removed my gloves.

The moment was so perfect. I am so happy for Juana, and her puppies. Juana's licking all of them, its like she's cleaning them. 

Not after 30 minutes, I saw contractions again. And I said to myself "OMG, there's more!" 

I ran to get my gloves. I watched Juana cried as the last puppy came out of her, perhaps, because of the pain she felt after the whole birthing process. The fourth puppy (male named MICKEY) is the biggest of them all. I thought he was dead already because right after I opened the sac, he's not showing any movements at all, he's not breathing. But soon as I aspirated his nose, he began to show signs of life. Next came out was another placenta. And by the way, he's my favorite. He's so special. I was very scared that time. I knew its almost one hour that he's inside and he could be in distress. But fortunately, with God's Grace, he's alive.

I cleaned Juana and her puppies as well and placed them in this huge box.

Here are some of the pictures I got after Juana's delivery :)